Why



i sew becuase it relaxes me...
all about me, my family and what we do.

live well. laugh often. love much. words to live by. but, what you may not realize is that those
sentiments are actually only a small part of a poem by Bessie Anderson Stanley written
in 1904. The full poem can be found below.

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Sewing Lessons 101

I know I had a great year in 2011 and I am looking forward to another great one in 2012!  Unfortunately, unlike other bloggers I do not have a photo log I can post with what I made this year.  I can tell you I will not have this problem next year!

Sewing Lessons 101 are well underway at my house.  My 5 year old daughter came to me and said "Mom I want a sewing machine."  I thought she was kidding, but after 4 weeks of " Did you get me a sewing machine?" and "Can you show me today?" I decided to teach her.  I WAS NERVOUS.  We went though how the machine works, what the parts of the machine are called and where not to put your fingers.  I put down green tape for her to line up her fabric.

Then she did it! She sewed her first seam.  It had a 1-1/2" seam allowance, was mostly straight and was all hers.  I was so proud.  HerE is the first project she completed.  I only made 4 of these seams for her.  She did the other 10 herself.
























She has had about 9 lessons so far and she is doing great.  We have moved her green "line" so she is now at a 1/2" or 1/4" seam allowance.  Impressive huh!  She has made 2 purses and a blanket for our dog.

But that isn't enought for her.  She told me she wanted to make a peace sign. I was like.... huh!  I didn't know what else to do, so we Googled.  She found an image she liked.  So, she picked out fabric, I cut fabric, she sewed fabric, I ironed fabric, she sewed fabric, I cut fabric, she picked out more fabric.... you get the idea.

This is what we designed and she pieced.



I sewed it to the blue background she picked out.  She did the rest of the piecing.  I am so proud.  I am calling it "Piece in 2012".  Get it!  It is 42" diameter and I am quilting it tonight.  I can't wait to see how it comes out.

I gotta say, we are having so much fun with our sewing lessons.  I can't wait to see what she wants to make next!

I will keep you posted and I wish all "Piece in 2012"!

No comments:

Post a Comment