Why



i sew becuase it relaxes me...
all about me, my family and what we do.

live well. laugh often. love much. words to live by. but, what you may not realize is that those
sentiments are actually only a small part of a poem by Bessie Anderson Stanley written
in 1904. The full poem can be found below.

Friday, January 20, 2012

Shore of the Beach

I got my toes in the water, ass in the sand
Not a worry in the world, a cold beer in my hand
Life is good today, life is good today
   - Toes in the Water, Zac Brown Band

During the hunt for the perfect "blog material" I have come to an astonishing conclusion; I am not as deep as an ocean.  I actually had a friend tell me today "shallow as a pond" seems to be a better description. 


News of presidential scandals, economic instability, job losses, budget cuts, war, crime, flooding, and snow storms swirl all around me.  I hear horrible news all the time; and I hear less then everyone else.  I made a choice that I would have less violence, despair, and hatred in my life. I got rid of the TV.  I sound Nobel but in actuality I cancelled the TV in June 2003 because I didn't have the money.  It wasn't until March 2005 that it became about keeping peace in my home.  My future husband moved and was not to happy about not having Internet or TV.  So we battled it out and I told him he could have one of the two.  Of course the Internet won. 

At that point I started to pay more attention to the information that was entering our home and minds.  I started to realize that it wasn't the voice I wanted us to hear.  So I made an effort to make the voices I wanted to hear louder and the other voices quieter.  I stopped watching violent movies and the news.  I immediately felt better. 

So now I spend most of my time doing and watching things that make me happy or have a message I deem good.  I spend my time trying to come up with ways to laugh more.  I already laugh a lot but there is always room for more.  I am all about fun, feeling good, and everyone being included. 

I figured it out today though.  I am not a deep person because I just can't be.  The only thing I have control over is myself.  I can't change the actions of the ones around me.  However, I can influence them.  I decided a long time ago I was going to be a positive outlook.  I am still figuring out how to do that but I can say I am better today then I was 5 years ago. 

So here is the "blog material"- keep a positive attitude and share a smile, kind word, and laugh together.  So if you need me you can find me on the shore of the beach.  I can see the ocean depth while I still have my toes in the water, ass in the sand and a margarita in my hand.  It's 5 o'clock somewhere. 

heather m.

No comments:

Post a Comment