Why



i sew becuase it relaxes me...
all about me, my family and what we do.

live well. laugh often. love much. words to live by. but, what you may not realize is that those
sentiments are actually only a small part of a poem by Bessie Anderson Stanley written
in 1904. The full poem can be found below.

Monday, January 23, 2012

Plans to Live By

It has been brought to my attention three times in the past three days in unrelated instances that the best place to come up with great ideas is in the shower.  I thought I should write this down so I did. 

I love weekends.  I mean who doesn't.  I love hanging out with my family.  But, I don't love planning.  So, I never really have a good itinerary for the weekend.  That isn't always a bad thing; actually, I am fairly certain this is one of the few times in my life I will be able to not have a "plan" for the weekend.  This fly-by weekend went slightly slower than the other fly-by weekends!  Actually, fly-by is not the term I was looking for, maybe on track would be better.  We went to the Locomotive History Museum.  I think we had a pretty good time considering one of us didn't feel good, one of us wants everything their way and two of us didn't have coffee before we went.

I didn't get any sewing done this week.  Here is a photo of the way my "sewing room" has looked like since Tuesday.  "Sewing Room" is an entirely separate post.  We will get to that in the future. 

This is a small portion of the "Plans Have Changed" quilt.
























I literally turned the machine off in the middle of chain piecing.  Headaches suck!  This quilt is just like my weekends, unplanned.  I started with extra fabric to "try this new thing".  I ended up REALLY liking what I made had twelve blocks and no more fabric.  So I re-cut my 12 blocks and added the brown fabric and HATED it.  Then I phoned a friend, regrouped, shopped and redid those blocks.  Now I LOVE it again.  It looks very unexpected to me.  I am now up to 48 blocks and have decided I need 49 blocks to complete my vision.  This is my "Plans Have Changed" quilt.

Although no sewing happened tons of planning was done,  I can't plan a weekend but I can a year of sewing!  I have some great ideas for 2012.  Things that will make me learn new things, take risks and just go with it.  Sometimes I wondering if I am talking about quilting or life.  I do quilt with cotton and cotton is the fabric of our lives.... you don't think....

My mom also sent me some new goodies!
My goals for this week are to work on the "Plans Have Changed" quilt, figure out if quilting is like life, stay on track and plan more.  But, most of all, I need to do more thinking in in the shower.

heather m.

No comments:

Post a Comment