Why



i sew becuase it relaxes me...
all about me, my family and what we do.

live well. laugh often. love much. words to live by. but, what you may not realize is that those
sentiments are actually only a small part of a poem by Bessie Anderson Stanley written
in 1904. The full poem can be found below.

Monday, February 13, 2012

Monday Motivation

"Just keep swimming.  Just keep swimming." ~ Dory from Disney's Finding Nemo

I have planned and carefully arranged everything down to the most minute details.  I know everything is going to be perfect.  I've rehearse it in my mind at least a dozen times.  Finally, I see the light at the end of the tunnel and the rewards that come with my success.  This is my moment to shine.  And then, BAM!!!  In an instant I watch all my hard work fall apart around me in what feels like slow motion.  I see nothing but the disaster that surrounds me.

Amazingly, these "disasters" are the times in my lives I remember the most.  These are the memories that make me cry, laugh, regret, rejoice, and, sometimes, just simply sigh.  These are the events that remind me my life is  intertwined with everyone and thing around me.  I can't control the actions and decisions others make even if when they effect "my plan".  I am only accountable to my actions and decisions.



Life throws me a wrench when it seems I am finally getting comfortable.  But, it is a disaster?  Is it a total loss and failure?  Or, did things just not go as I planned?  When everything around me is falling apart in slow motion I don't just stand there and watch.  My plans didn't fail.  My hard work hasn't gone to waste.   I find the reason I started doing "it" in the first place.  The "thing" that was going to make me believe I was a success.  It might be lost, but it is still there.

Now, I change my plans.  I make a new plan.  As soon as I can.  This one, too, will likely fail.  I have more failures than successes.  I will cry, laugh, regret, rejoice and, sometimes, just simply sigh.  And then, I change my plans.  If I stop and float I will never "succeed" so I "Just keep swimming. Just keep swimming." 


Started a new project this week!  I am done with the borders on my "Plans Have Changed" quilt and will be quilting it soon.  I need to piece the back.  I was just so excited about this fabric I had to dig in tonight.  My amazing daughter picked all this fabric out.  She is so amazing with color.


This is going to a bright and festive baby quilt.  I can't wait to see this quilt.  I will have to think of a great name during the next week.  Fabric purchased last week - 6 yards.  Fabric used last week - 3 yards.  Not bad...

heather m. 

No comments:

Post a Comment